Friday, April 18, 2014

In danger of running out of home heating fuel?
Is your electric service on the brink of disconnect?

CVCAC may be able to help. In partnership with state and federal agencies, and with Vermont utilities and private donors, we offer several assistance options.

How to apply: Contact the CVCAC office nearest you - Click here. We will tell you what documents or information you will need to bring. If you are elderly or disabled and not able to apply in person, we may be able to help you with your application over the phone. Your household income is a major consideration; however, check with us for the final determination of your eligibility.


Seasonal Fuel AssistanceWe can help you budget and plan for the upcoming heating season, and assist with your application for Vermont's Seasonal Fuel Assistance program which covers a variety of home heating fuels including wood. Assistance is for home owners or renters who pay for heat or who have heat included in the rent. We can also help determine whether you are eligible for the Furnace Repair and Replacement program.

Who is eligible? Your household income can be up to 185% of the federal poverty level. The application period begins July 15th and goes through the end of February. Don't delay in applying for assistance. Applications received after August 31st of the year may result in a smaller benefit. Furnace Repair and Replacement: 150% of federal poverty guidelines.


Crisis Fuel Assistance We can help you if you experience a home heating emergency during the winter months. If eligible, we may help you:

  • Purchase the primary source of your heat (e.g., electricity, kerosene, natural gas, oil, propane, or wood);
  • Purchase electricity if it is required to run your heating system; and
  • Have your furnace repaired or replaced.

We can also help you negotiate payment plans and will work with your electric or natural gas company to prevent disconnection.

Who is eligible?Your household income can be up to 200% of the federal poverty level. Applications are accepted starting the last Monday in November of the year through the last Friday in April. Do not wait until you have run out of fuel to apply as fuel dealers often charge a special trip fee for emergency deliveries. Crisis Fuel Assistance cannot help you if the fuel has already been delivered or the furnace work has been completed.


After Hours Crisis Fuel Assistance We provide after hours emergency assistance with heating crises for individuals and families across Vermont. Call 1-800-287-0589 toll-free after we have closed for the day, on weekends, and on holidays—starting the last Monday in November until the second Friday in April. After midnight, the after-hours staff is available only for clients who are elderly, disabled, or have children under 6 years old living in the household.


WARMTHLimited funding is available for families facing heating emergencies. You must be out, or almost out, of fuel or be in danger of having your service disconnected.

Who is eligible? Your household income can be up to 200% of the federal poverty level. Available October through May.


ShareHeat Limited funding is available to help provide financial assistance to meet energy bills in an emergency. Established by Central Vermont Public Service Corporation.

Who is eligible? Your household income can be up to 200% of the federal poverty level.Available September through May for Central Vermont Public Service (CVPS) customers only.


Green Mountain PowerOne-on-one direct service to Green Mountain Power customers for the Power Partners Program that helps pay past due amounts on electric bills to avoid disconnect.

Who is eligible? Your household income can be up to 200% of the federal poverty level.Available April through July for Green Mountain Power customers only.

For more information, contact the CVCAC office nearest you.

Click to download the FCSS Application Form.

Find and Contact Us

find us2

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.
View Full Calendar

Find us on Facebook